Trainees preparing to submit an application for Individual Funding are advised to take full advantage of the resources available to them - these include not only the links and tips below, but perhaps more importantly the advice and help of their peers and mentors, and the administrative resources that exist to support their training experience within their institution.
Tips and links for students and post-docs from the DSM Education Committee:
If you are trying to figure out where to begin, or just need a few tips and extra help preparing your application for individual funding, we hope that this document will be useful to you. If in your research you find additional resources that should be added here, please let us know.
Harvard University Funding Portal
You may use this site to find and apply for funding opportunities that are available to Harvard affiliates (faculty, fellows, students, and staff) and some non-affiliate funding opportunities:
- Limited Submission Opportunities
- Harvard internal funding opportunities
- Other funding opportunities as published by your School
Browse all funding opportunities on the Harvard University Funding Portal (HUFP).
Specific help for submitting an Individual NRSA application
Specific help for submitting a K23
Other Grant Writing Resources
NIH grant writing resources
- FAQ from the NIH Office of Extramural Research
- Tips from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences
- NIH RePORT database- search NIH-funded research
Center for Scientific Research
- For new applicants NIH Center for Scientific Review (CSR): Resources for grant applicants contains crucial information on the NIH application process including funding opportunities, policies, and forms. Information also includes Submission And Assignment Process, NIH Grant Review Process Video, Advice to Investigators Submitting Clinical Research Applications, process for Appeals of Initial Scientific Peer Review
- Mock peer review session (downloadable video)
- NIH CSR Peer Review Guidelines and Information includes an Overview of NIH Peer Review Process, Guidelines for Reviewers, and Peer Review Policy and Issues.
National Cancer Institute: Resources for grant applicants including funding opportunities, application forms, proposal guides
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Resources for grant applicants including funding opportunities, search tools, grant proposal guide, faq
- Human Science Frontier Program, with guidance by section
Highly Recommended: grant-writing and career development resources
National Postdoctoral Association resources for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars including information on career development.
ScienceCareers.org Resources for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars
American Academy for the Advancement of Science, Science magazine resource for Career Development resources, GrantsNet searchable tool for grant opportunities (AAAS & HHMI collaboration)
University web pages with grant writing tips (a sampling)
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- University of Michigan proposal writing guide
Grant opportunity that does not require US Citizenship or Visa
US Trust: Charles A. King Trust Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Program
|Trainees' Portal Page|