William C. Dement, MD, PhD
Lowell W. And Josephine Q. Berry Professor Of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Stanford University School Of Medicine
Awarded in celebration of the work of William C. Dement, creative giant of sleep research and founding father of sleep medicine, on whose broad shoulders the entire field rests.
- Discoverer of the REM sleep link to dreams.
- Co-discoverer of REM sleep in animals.
- Audacious innovator in the study of sleep and wakefulness.
- Persuasive advocate for sleep research and for creation of the National Center on Sleep Disorders Research at the National Institutes of Health.
- Visionary leader of national movement to improve public awareness of sleep
and its disorders.
- Pioneer in the treatment of sleep disorders as a new clinical specialty, founding the first sleep disorders clinic in the world and founding president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Harvard Medical School
Division of Sleep Medicine
2004 Annual Prize in Sleep Medicine Recipient
See more information about the 2004 Sleep and Health Benefit Dinner.